2 Sept 2011

Its good to be home...

It may be rainy in Cape Town today (although still with a dash of monkey's wedding sunshine!), and it still feels like the best place to be right now!

Yes, I am one of those recently returned South Africans who is beaming with happiness at my decision of returning to the place I grew up!

And with pride, fondness and utter delight at some of my recent Cape Town discoveries (or introductions to be grateful to those who have shared their special places) - I wish to share 8 things that are making me excited about being in Cape Town right now...

1) A perfect panoramic birdseye view of the Western Cape on arrival - I flew into Cape Town on a 1Time flight from Joburg. And without prior thought upon boarding, I asked the air hostess if passengers were ever allowed in the cockpit. 'If you don't ask, you'll never know' my mom always says! Much to my amazement, the response was positive! And so I was invited into the cockpit a whole half hour before landing, complete with personal commentary and pointing out towns and mountain ranges, courtesy of pilot Ian Bruce and his co-pilot Rudi van der Merwe! Many thanks to you both!

2) All the Madame Zingara magic floating around Kloof Street and beyond - I'm talking about the exotic outdoor tented theatre dining experience which started in the mother city many moons ago! And is now celebrating 10 days of Madame Zingara magic. Plus all their hippy / trendy / comfy / zooty restaurant creations of wonder! But more on this soon - it deserves magic mention of its own...

3) The increasing number of discount sites and bargain deals - One of the things I distinctively recall when the UK braced itself for recession mode, was that the restaurants and bars stayed just as busy! And not just because people were drowning their sorrows or living in  false sense of all-will-be-fine. But because the restaurants and bars got smart! And I am thrilled to see Cape Town intertwined in this trend.

Monday half price, Tuesday 20%, Wednesday mid-week-wonder-deal, Thursday stay-and-drink-your-body-fluid-in-booze and so on! Between Groupon, UCit, CityMob and more - there are also daily deals to suit every pocket, palette and preference!

4) Cape Town Magazine's 100 days to summer vibe - not only can you win a prize every day, but its the countdown to summer part that I love! In a city that had warmer days scattered throughout its winter patch than some of London's potential summer days, I just love the anticipation of an entire city waiting for the epic summer ahead! And as a now permanent Capetonian, I can confirm that this feeling is tangible... I already feel it too! Excitement is in the air, come on summer, come on!

(Now the last few will be brief, because its Friday and you've read this far... so another four reasons why CT is rocking my world, stimulating my grey matter and inspiring my creative node!)

5) It wouldn't be ZAmmm! without mentioning the music - Oodles of it. And all SA music of course! The Assembly. Zula Bar. Mercury. The list is endless. Each weekend - and week day - brings a smorgasbord of indulgent aural selection!

6) The Hub. The Fringe. The place to be - its as simple as that really. Cape Town is the ka-shizz-nik of places to be right now if you're in / on / under / at the creative scene. Coolness and innovation is unfolding all around. And anyone can be part of it!

7) The World Design Capital 2014 - ok, so we're shortlisted. One of three. And I thought that we'd be celebrating come this weekend. But it seems the people at Selection Headquarters are holding out on us still. Either way, we deserve it most. Cos Cape Town most certainly is just awesome in so many ways like that!

8) Creative Week Cape Town - if no 6 and 7 weren't enough to peak your intrigue in Cape Town's creative buzz... then how about this week long series of awesomeness. Actual people putting on actual events to show just how creative and awesome and collaborative they can be! All over Cape Town from 9-18 September, including the famous advertising awards weekend of the Loeries from 16-18th!

Rock on Cape Town inspiring my world,
x

2 comments:

Koco Jelly said...

LOVE it!
U better do a top 10 Jozi at some stage!

Soosi said...

Thanks Koco Jelly :)

I might just need to come to Jozi again then for the full experience so I can suss out my favourite bits!

x