8 Sept 2011

The Cousin you want to know...

I still remember the first time I saw Barry Hilton live. It was the year 2000 and the venue was the River Club in Cape Town. I soon learnt about Barry's 'crowd-engaging style' as I was personally picked on, at the tender age of 20 when I blushed when made to be the centre of attention...


I chatted to Barry after the show. I remember even being bolshy enough to say to his manager slash marketing guy that one day I would be doing Barry's publicity! (I was studying public relations at the time!) Ever since then, Barry and I have been buddies. 

A year later, in 2001, I moved to the UK and took with me my travellers cheques at an exorbitant exchange rate of R16.75. Soon after, Barry brought his show to the UK too. The cost to his show was £20 (and ten year's later, the price is still the same!). At my rands rate, I ended up paying R335 to see The Cousin on that cold March day in the UK, compared to R80 from my first experience a year before! And worth every penny!

I have since seen Barry Hilton every time he's come over to the UK. I go just for the facial expressions. He has one of those classic malleable faces that morphs and mutates into all manner of hilarious expressions. And its classic Barry Hilton every time. Not to mention the apt and accurate observations on life with the humourous and light-hearted twist. If only more people saw the world with less-seriousness!

Plus you feel like you know his family as he has spoken about his kids over the years, growing up from small boys to absolute adults now. (Though Bazza does have a new addition in the form of another little one... maybe he needed more comedy inspiration to keep the stories flowing!)

This 'Serial Comic Tour' to the UK for Barry is a milestone for me - it is a decade since I've been supporting his shows in the UK. Alas, I am not there to enjoy that very specific South African feeling of being at a Barry Hilton gig amidst other South Africans who just get it! But since I now live back in the land that Barry himself calls the best country in the world, I know I will get to see him more than most!

Although he has been a busy man of late as he is currently on his world tour (which he should have called The Cousin World Cup) having just completed 20 shows in 25 days in New Zealand, warming up South African spirits ahead of The Other World Cup. After this he heads to Doha and Dubai and beyond!


So its two weeks to go until The Cousin rocks the Clapham Grand in London town on 22 September, and Friday 23 September in Bournemouth ahead of Heritage Day on 24th!


Whether London is closer for you, I would also suggest a little road trip to Bournemouth. Its cheap on a coach, and quick on a train - only just over an hour away! And it has beaches, yes - real sandy beaches! So why not combine a little bit of comedy with a Heritage Day beach day!

You've been warned. The Cousin will be in town. The perfect way to kickstart a weekend / a winter / a way of life!

With 29 years of comedy under his belt, I say long live the Serial Comic / The Cousin / The Savanna Ad Guy (making Savanna ads cool since 1999)!

Rock on Barry Hilton and cheers to a decade of trips to the UK in my time,
x

No comments: