25 Jan 2011

Who else does it...

I've been listening to - and enjoying - the country music trio from Nashville of 'Need you now' fame. None other than, Lady Antebellum. And it got me to thinking...

Does South Africa have many, or any, duo male and female mixed bands where both genders sing?

Internationally there have been many bands over the years who have done the shared vocal contrast - from The Mamas and the Papas to ABBA, Australian brother and sister duo Angus and Julia Stone, the UK Mercury 2010 prize winning The XX and of course the Lady Antebellums of the country world, as well as many artists from the folk world who have existed in such duos over the years. But in South Africa, who has done this or is doing this?

I really battled to think of any South African examples. I considered Cassette, but quickly realised it is only Jon Savage who sings. Then I thought of two bands I saw recently at Synergy - Fire Through The Window and No One's Arc.

Fire Through The Window, the only Durban based band at Synergy, reminded me of a sort of pop rock outfit who's energy reminded me a bit of Blink 182 in their later years. Sinead Dennis and Marc de La Querra both sing, often bantering as they go. It works!



Then No One's Arc, while more what I would call a male-fronted group, do have a fabulous backing vocals female who adds a Zolani-esque feel to their sound.



Then I thought of Goldfish who have featured the incredible vocals of Monique Hellenberg. But guest appearances and collaborations are slightly different from groups like Lady Antebellum who are using both the male and female voice as instruments...

While collaborations don't quite count, I'd still be keen to see more collaborations or male/female duos existing in SA. Anyone know of any good ones, or any suggestions of which artists should get together and create gender combination tracks?

Rock on new creations,
x

2 comments:

Tracy Ellis said...

What about DieselVanilla http://www.facebook.com/pages/DieselVanilla/107956119242436

Soosi said...

Cool - thanks for introducing me to DieselVanilla Tracy - will check them out! And they're from Cape Town, so will also keep an ear out for gigs when next Im in town!