28 Oct 2011

It's been a while...

IKHYSLSM or I Know How You Screamed Last Scary Movie... a new play by Vulture Productions. Even the production company sounds ominous. Yet it still took me a while to make the connection as to how perfectly timed this Cape Town play was...

On arrival at the Theatre in the District, my first time at this quaint Woodstock venue, I was distracted by the unique design features of the building. From the arched wooden roof to the immense Phantom-of-the-Opera-esque central chandelier, the space was delightfully engaging. The seating cascaded onto the stage making it look like we would literally be a part of the set ourselves! But I digress.

Only when I was standing in the bar queue (which was behind the stage, making it feel even more accessible, intimate and exciting), did I notice the overly pronounced display of American Halloween paraphernalia... a spider-web covered coffin, some bright orange pumpkins and a selection of Halloween masks and props to play with! And a photographer to capture your Halloween moment.

That's when I marvelled at the ultimate marketing power behind this play being put on this weekend, and next. It runs for six days on either side of Halloween. Have I been oblivious to all the orange items and witches hats displayed in windows across Cape Town of late? Now that I think of it, no I haven't. I just cannot believe that it is the end of October already.

But I digress again. I Know What I Did Last Night.

I watched the opening night of this locally-produced eight man play! Produced by Antoinette du Preez, and written and directed by Jeremeo Le Cordeur, a City Varsity graduate, this play is his third production! And he also acts in it!

Its ultimately a comedy, a spoof of the classic horror movies of years past. And the audience demographic confirmed this, with an average age of 28 years 8 months (on average)! It was indeed a tribute, and a test of the memory, to all the scary movies that this generation has been subjected too. Some scary, some more of the comical type...

Do you know your 'Scary Movie' and your 'Scream' from your 'I know what you did last summer'? Your 'Idle Hands' from your 'It', 'Saw' from 'The Shining', 'Poltergeist' from 'The Ring'? And an extra 10 points if you know the name of the guy who possessed Chucky in Child's Play. And then an added bonus if you can work out the scene were Grey's Anatomy is immortalised in SA theatre!

Oh, and how could I forget another key concept and theme trailed through this horror playground, the three South Africanised characters named, and cast with similar looks, from the Twilight saga. Brilliantly clever cross-overs and cross-references!

Jeremeo is clearly a child of the Movie Generation with his extensive knowledge to have scripted such a synergetic blend of classic scenes. In fact, I'm surprised no one had done it before! Or is there a movie of similar direction? It was a parody begging to be produced! And Jeremeo was quick off the mark to capitalise on our horror-inspired mindsets at this time of year!

For a night of horror movie reminiscing, laughter and quality acting (plus free popcorn and a yummy Lindt chocolate on arrival), click here!

Catch IKHYSLSM tonight, tomorrow and then 3-5 November as well!

Rock on reminiscing about scary movies,
x

No comments: