21 Apr 2011

We're similar like that...

It was 2008 when we met. At the Music Exchange Conference in Cape Town. Plus I was at the Alma Cafe in Rosebank last night, and so was she. And I watched Franki Black perform a few hits, so did she. 

Shannon Hope and I, we're similar like that you see! We have things in common. 

Ok, so none of these things essentially mean anything other than we were in the same place at the same time when we met, and again last night... at her gig. Support act Franki Black opened with a few highly entertaining country-style songs. I liked very much. Not many SA artists explore the country genre. She also did a Henry Ate cover of 'Just', that made me happy.

And it made me think how more SA bands should do covers of other SA bands...

Next up, the singer songwriter we'd all come to see. Seated in the cosy home-style vibe of Alma Cafe in Rosebank, Durban-based Shannon Hope took to the stage with her keyboard, her traveling companion on the long journeys down the N2 from Durban to Cape Town, stopping along the route to share the Shannon Hope sound. It was her farewell Cape Town gig last night, for this month-long tour at least!

She told stories. She really, really sung her heart out. She poured her passion into the songs and the way she played. And she blew us away. With a sparkle in her eye beneath her red and black bit of fringe and hints of humour interspersed between tracks, she charmed the audience with her normalness and niceness (sic!), and yet she overly impressed with her talent (to the point of pure audience silence)!

She shared with us how she quit her corporate job two years ago in order to give her all to her passion of music. Shannon and I, we're similar like that... I too quit my corporate gig in order to give my media and love of SA music passion a run for its money!

She sung a song which must be called 'Just believe' which was like a self-talk soliloquy: "Take every chance you can possibly take, chase every dream you have ever believed in and treat every moment as if its your last. Just believe!" Sounds like something I'd say to myself.

She told of another song that she wrote at work one day, made up of a collection of her friend's Facebook statuses. She called it The Waiting Room. I too have written a short story once entitled The Waiting Room. Shannon and I, we're similar like that!

Shannon sings and plays amazing piano. A mix between Tori Amos and Ani Difranco. Me, I adore female vocalists and piano is one of my most emotively moving instruments!

She tells stories through her songs. I share stories in my articles.

Ok, so Shannon is one super talented musician, and I am a fan of the sound, passion and output she shares in the form of stories and song, and I get to write about what she does. She is quirky and honest and realistic! And it makes her personable. It makes you feel like you know her like a friend!

And then she hints at her second album, due out in winter. (Another reason besides feather duvets and hot chocolate, to look forward to the colder months ahead!) She sung one of the tracks, 'Fighting a new day':

"Of all the things I've lost along the way, I've missed my heart the most.
I've come out fighting, to fight a new day.
There's one thing I regret, the time wasted on you.
Pretending that I'm ok.
Forgetting what I was before.
And getting up to fight another day.
But I've come out fighting..."

I relate. In fact, is it plagiarism if someone steals your thoughts word for word?

Everyone should aim to catch an intimate Shannon Hope show at somewhere like the Alma Cafe. Up close and personal. Just like her songs. Just like Shannon.

Rock on Shannon Hope, road trips and being quirky and real at the same time,
x

1 comment:

Ryan Calder said...

Enjoyed reading! Great piece. We like Shannon! :)