1 Apr 2009

Still waters run deep...

She's been touted as the South African Alanis Morissette... 
...but I've always thought that she looks more like Nemi - the fabuously dark cartoon character in London's The Metro newspaper!


As a musician, Josie Field does indeed have an Alanis sound about her, a similar angst and aching determination in her voice! This is especially true in her debut single 'Every Now and Then', which on Monday morning on my iPod was the soundtrack to the emotions drip-feeding into my brain. Her words, her clever portrayal pulled it all together - allowing me to understand how I feel every now and then.

After first discovering Josie at Oppikoppi 2007, this is the first time I've seen her in the UK. She played at the acoustic open mic night at the Halfmoon on Monday. And on chatting to her, she is far from the uber serious goth looking girl on stage. In fact she is calm and quiet and quite friendly.

And with her second album, Leyland, just out - her sound is also evolving to some deeper depths of her voice. (And the album name is in fact her middle name)

Rock on music bringing meaning to our lives,
x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am really delighted to discove this. great job!